Deaf & Hear Alberta offers American Sign Language (ASL) courses to individuals, groups and organizations.
All of our ASL courses are “no voice zones”, full immersion classes taught by qualified Deaf instructors, whose first language is American Sign Language. For more information on our different sign language courses, please view the links below.
Please note: the following Course Withdrawal policy applies to all of our courses:
Course Withdrawal Policy
- Refunds are not issued once classes have begun.
- Refunds are not issued for non-attendance.
- An administrative fee of $25 will be charged for each withdrawal request. This administrative fee will be waived for a transfer to another course.
- Refunds will be issued only if withdrawal is requested at least 5 business days prior to course start.
- Refunds will be processed within ten business days.
- A full refund will be given if a course is cancelled by Deaf Alberta
- NEW in 2020: Eventbrite has begun charging a $25 administrative fee when a refund is processed. This is deducted from the refund amount. Please be aware of this when registering, and if you are considering withdrawal from a course.
Deaf & Hear Alberta is the premier provider of this full immersion (no voice), curriculum-based course for those wanting to learn the beauty and nuances of this visual language. Participants are able to progress in their learning through sequential levels of difficulty. The Signing Naturally series is recognized as the curriculum for serious students wishing to learn ASL, and is the first step towards becoming a sign language interpreter in Alberta.
Thanks to generous support from Calgary Learns, DHA can provide financial assistance to adults that cannot afford these programs. This support can be offered to Calgary residents only at this time.
Please contact Cindy Pilz at email@example.com if you need assistance.
Are you interested in working with Deaf & Hard of Hearing isolated seniors within your community to feel better connected with friends, family & the community? Do you enjoy teaching others how to safely use technology? Deaf & Hear Alberta has a new funded initiative – the Deaf & Hear Alberta Step Ahead program where we work towards diminishing social isolation and loneliness with the use of technology & volunteerism. If this sounds like you, please contact Leslie at Deaf & Hear Alberta.
ASL Summer Camp is open to anyone who is keen to learn ASL for the first time, or for those with some signing skills to advanced levels. Minimum suggested age is 16 years old.
There are 3 different levels :
- Basic: No American Sign Language background knowledge to minimum knowledge (0-50 signs)
- Intermediate: Basic ASL skill to Intermediate (50-200 signs)
- Advanced: Intermediate to Advanced skills (200 or more signs)
The format of our summer camp is different this year due to the uncertainty caused by Covid-19.
- Delivery will be online.
- There are 4 weeks being offered and you can choose which week you would like to join.
- Deadline to register is 2 business days before the class starts.
- There is no early bird registration.
- Cost is $150 for 10 hours of instruction, Monday – Friday from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
If you are not sure what level you are at, or for any other information, please contact Cindy Pilz, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you have a Deaf employee at your workplace? Does your organization work with Deaf children or adults? We can customize a course for you with a special focus on vocabulary that is particular to your organization. We recommend a minimum of 6 instructional hours.
To arrange for a customized course, contact our Manager of Deaf Services, Cindy Pilz, by email: email@example.com