Funding Resources

Funding Resources

Funding support may be available for Albertans that qualify.

These links provide information about potential funding sources for hearing aids and, if available, assistive signalling and amplification devices.  Please review the information carefully to confirm your qualifications for assistance.

Alberta Aids for Daily Living

Through Alberta Aids for Daily Living, the Alberta government helps Albertans subsidize the cost of hearing aids and FM systems.

Campbell McLaurin Foundation

The Campbell McLaurin Foundation exists to help low-income individuals in Southern Alberta (from Red Deer southward) with the cost of hearing aids, assistive devices such as home safety signalers, and sound amplifiers for TV, phone, and conversations.. For more information or to apply, please click the link above.

Children’s Ability Fund – Northern Alberta only

As one of Alberta’s long-serving charities, the Children’s Ability Fund provides funding to enhance the independence of children with disabilities throughout Northern Alberta.  For more information, please click the link above.

Cochlear Implant Assistance Fund
Administered by CHHA Calgary, this fund is designed to help cochlear implant users cover the cost of batteries and accessories, up to $1000.00 per year. For more information or to apply, please click on the link above.

Elks and Royal Purple Fund for Children
The Elks & Royal Purple Fund for Children provides financial assistance for medical needs of children with hearing and speech disorders under the age of 19.

Hearing Aid Assistance Fund
The fund endeavours to assist disadvantaged hard of hearing individuals by subsidizing funds available for purchasing new or repairing old hearing aids. Administered by CHHA Edmonton, this fund is designed to help people living in Central and Northern Alberta.

H.I.K.E. Fund
The H.I.K.E. (Hearing Impaired Kids Equipment) fund is a non-profit Canadian charity formed in 1991, which provides funding for hearing aids and other assistive equipment for hard of hearing children (birth to age twenty). For more information or apply, please click on the link above.

Registered Disability Savings Plan
The Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP) is a long-term savings plan to help Canadians with disabilities and their families save for the future. If you have an RDSP, you may also be eligible for grants and bonds to help with your long-term savings. For more information on RDSPs, please click the link above.

Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped (AISH) program provides financial and health-related assistance to eligible adults with a disability. The disability must be permanent and substantially limit the person’s ability to earn a living.

Good Neighbour Fund (Central and Northern Alberta)
The Good Neighbour Fund is dedicated to helping those who are not covered by other assistance. The Good Neighbour Fund provides limited financial resources or assistance to individuals in Edmonton and Northern Alberta.

Disability Related Employment Supports (DRES)
DRES funding is available to pay for supports that help Albertans overcome barriers to education or employment caused by a disability.

To be eligible for DRES supports and/or services an individual must:

  • have a diagnosed and documented permanent or chronic disability that creates a barrier to education, training and/or employment
  • be an Alberta resident
  • be a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or refugee under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
  • be legally entitled to work and/or train in Canada
  • intend to work
  • be eligible for DRES through an Employability Assessment and have a Service Plan

Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) –Audio (Hearing) Services POC 3
VAC provides financial support to qualified Veterans who receive health care benefits and services through VAC’s health care programs. Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) provides financial support to qualified Veterans who receive health care benefits and services through VAC’s health care programs.  The Veteran can also submit original paid invoices/receipts for reimbursement to:

National Reimbursement Centre
PO Box 6700
Moncton, NB  E1C 0T8

Workers’ Compensation Board – Alberta
If you have any reason to suspect that your hearing loss is potentially due to work-related noise exposure or a work-related accident, it is your responsibility to apply for WCB benefits and wait for the WCB to determine if your claim is accepted.  Visit a hearing healthcare clinic for more information.  WCB has contracted rates they pay the hearing clinic for hearing aids.

Lastly, you may have private insurance coverage such as with Sun Life or other providers. Please contact your insurance company to see if there is any coverage for hearing aids and assistive devices.

First Nations and Inuit Health

For those individuals with First Nations or Inuit status, the First Nations and Inuit Health Branch have a program in place to cover non-insured health benefits.  While these are on a needs-basis, hearing aids are an item on the approved list of covered medical supplies and equipment.

For more information on eligibility, exclusions, and the application process for audiology equipment benefits, visit the benefits and criteria page at First Nations and Inuit Health.

Also see Jordan’s Principle.