When you gather together with friends and family, imagine what your gathering would be like if you could not understand each other through shared communication. When you host an event on behalf of Deaf & Hear Alberta, your dollars will help break down barriers and give the gift of communication for those who are Deaf or hard of hearing.
With 23 percent of the general population and almost 20 percent of youth with an irreversible hearing loss, there is an increasing need for citizens, as indiviudals, groups or corporations, to get involved and help build awareness and find solutions to address the increasing incidence of hearing loss.
Hosting an event sends an inspirational message to your partners, co-workers and friends: collectively we will all build stronger, healthier communities.
What can you do to host an event?
Events can range from dinners to silent auctions, friend get-togethers, jewellery parties and golf tournaments to even challenging co-workers to test their hearing in the workplace. Be creative –pick your event and rally your friends, family, co-workers and those in your networks to get involved and have fun raising funds. If you have a passion for one of our programs areas we will do our best to match your donation to that area.
Make your event successful
Please discuss your event idea with our fund development team, who can provide practical advice on permits and licences required and event marketing tips.
Once the event is approved, we will provide a letter of endorsement authorizing you to host your event on our behalf, lending credibility to your event. To incorporate the Deaf & Hear Alberta brand and logo to promote your event, please submit all print and promotional material for approval. Once approved, we will e-mail you our logo with guidelines for its use.
Your event will be promoted through our website, social media tools and our electronic newsletter. A limited quantity of Deaf & Hear Alberta marketing material will be available for your event upon request. If possible, a representative from our organization would be happy to attend and speak at your event.
Steps to planning and holding a great event
1. Gather friends and colleagues and start brainstorming. To get you started, some ideas include: sporting events, “-a-thons” of any kind, tournaments, barbecues or parties, garage sales, street/block parties, holiday, birthday or anniversary celebrations, dinner-dances, auctions, challenges. Make it fun and involve as many people as you can.
2. Set goals. Decide how much money you would like to raise to support Deaf and hearing health causes and develop a budget. Most hosted events aim for a minimum profit of 30 percent or higher.
4. Share news of your event widely with all your contacts through your social media tools.
5. Start a committee by inviting some great people to help you plan, run and promote your event.
6. Attend to the details — put together a checklist of tasks to ensure your event runs smoothly: eg. set the schedule, book the location, arrange for food, invite one and all!
7. Promote your event with great flyers, invites, social media and posters. Don’t forget to personalize the invitation by making phone calls and approaching people face-to-face to make the invite.
8. Keep track of income and expenditures! Please submit your financial information and profits to our organization within 30 days of holding your event.
9. Celebrate your success! Communicate the outcome to everyone who was involved and remember to thank all those who played a part in making your event a success.
If you are interested in holding a fundraising event on our behalf, contact email@example.com